In preparation for the festive season I took a stab at making a chocolate yule log. This one is filled with a deliciously light coffee and mascarpone filling and smothered in a yummy rich chocolate buttercream. Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you all!
For the sponge:
120g caster sugar
60g self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
For the filling:
50g icing sugar
1tbsp coffee dissolved in 1/2 tbsp hot water
For the buttercream:
240g icing sugar
120g butter, softened
70ml double cream
30g cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C. Cover a 35 x 25cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Separate the eggs. Add the sugar to the egg yolks and in an electric mixer, whisk until the mixture is light in colour. Sift in the flour and cocoa and fold in lightly until fully
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff and then fold gently into the cake mixture a third at a time.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes, or
until the cake feels firm to the touch. Put a large sheet of greaseproof paper on the work surface and sprinkle lightly with icing sugar. Turn the cake out onto the paper, peel off the lining paper and cover with a clean tea towel. Leave to cool completely.
5. For the filling, place the mascarpone, icing sugar and dissolved coffee in a bowl and mix well.
6. Once the cake has cooled completely, spread the mascarpone mixture over the top
surface and roll the sponge tightly. Cover in clingfilm and place in the fridge until you are ready to decorate.
7. For the buttercream, place the icing sugar and butter in a bowl and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the double cream and mix well. Sift the cocoa powder over the mixture and fold in until fully incorporated.
8. Cover the log in buttercream and, using a palette knife, make a pattern by smoothing over back and forth to resemble tree bark. Dust with icing sugar.
Prep time: 45 minutes (including cooling time)
Cook time: 10 minutes to bake, 15 minutes to decorate
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes