Hope you are all managing to stick to your New Year’s resolutions and for those that have
broken them I hope you did it in style! For any who have sworn off chocolate and alcohol look away now. These cannelés are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside with just a kick of rum – perfect to banish those January blues!
400ml semi-skimmed milk
2 egg yolks
40g cocoa powder
1tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the butter and the milk in a pan over a low heat and once melted remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and then fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
3. Mix the vanilla, rum and milk mixture together and then incorporate into the batter. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight or ideally for 48 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 250°C/fan 220°C. Remove the batter from the refrigerator, mix gently and then fill the cannelés mould with the batter, allowing about 5mm space at the top for the cannelés to rise.
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 250°C/fan 220°C and then reduce the temperature to 160°C/fan 140°C and bake for 50 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and remove the cannelés from the mould while still hot. Allow to cool on a rack.
Prep time: 25 minutes (excludes time in refrigerator)
Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes (excludes time in refrigerator)