Following on from my last post, I decided to make coffee cupcakes with a chocolate
buttercream. As a child, whenever my mom asked me what cake I would like my answer would always be a coffee cake with chocolate icing (and caramel in between). These cupcakes remind me of the cakes from my childhood and they taste almost as good.
For the cupcakes:
100g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
200g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
125ml milk, lukewarm
For the buttercream:
240g icing sugar
1tbsp cocoa powder
125g butter, softened
65ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C. Fill a cupcake/muffin tin with 9 cupcake holders.
2. Stir the coffee into the lukewarm milk until it has dissolved.
3. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
4. Add one egg and mix in well. Do the same with the second egg.
5. Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture and mix.
6. Fold the milk mixture into the batter and stir until fully incorporated.
7. Spoon the mixture equally into 9 cupcake holders and bake for approximately 20
minutes, testing with a metal skewer to ensure they are cooked through. Leave to cool.
8. For the buttercream, place the icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter in a bowl and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the double cream and mix well.
9. Once the cakes are cool, use a piping bag and pipe the buttercream onto the top of a
cupcake. Repeat to make 9 cupcakes.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes